Pages

11 December 2009

Reflections on our families

I've been an Auxiliarist for six years now. I've joked with my kids, Tim and Charlotte, since fairly early in my Auxiliary career  that I can't wait until they can join up too, but they were little and it was a long, long way off. 


Last night I was gearing up for a Christmas Ships patrol and Tim is hanging out with me. He asked with anticipation in his voice to remind him, "When can I start going out with you?". I stopped, staggered realizing that he is only three years from 17. He just turned 14 last week but it had not really hit me until that moment.


Congrats boyo! I am so very proud of you.


Tonight I attended the Flotilla 73 Change of Watch. Brian Rollins' son was there to watch his father be sworn in as Flotilla Commander, as was his wife Elizabeth. My dear friend Peter Kirschner's wonderful wife Mary, his daughter and granddaughter were on hand for Peter's retirement from the Auxiliary. We were surrounded by those who sacrifice weekends and evenings so we can serve.


I simply could not do what I do without the incredible support of my wife Sarah and my children. On the flip side I think I am a better husband and father because of the opportunities the Coast Guard and my shipmates have given me to serve and to lead. Today when I look at myself I have no doubts about who I am. I am a husband, a father and a guardian....






...and perhaps soon to be a father of guardians too.




Be safe out there shipmates.











1 comment:

Pierre Sogol said...

You never know! They may find themselves playing other positions in Team Coast Guard.