Pages

11 March 2010

My Name is Diane Epstein

Hello Fellow '76ers:


Since I am new to this flotilla, I thought I would introduce myself and write a brief background. I am a true Oregonian--born and raised. After graduating from Clark College in Vancouver, WA with an Associate Degree in Medical Secretary I worked for a Chiropractor for a while. Then I decided to broaden my skills and worked for several temporary agencies in the clerical field for about 2 years, then landed a job as a Data Entry Clerk for a firm downtown Portland. After seven years, I wanted something more so I went back to school and took computer classes and a Court Reporting course.

My parents had joined this group called the "Coast Guard Auxiliary" in 1987 and my mother had suggested several times that I should join too. "It would be good for you to meet other people", she said, but I said, "no, that's not for me. Too many old people" Well, I attended Auxiliary functions from time to time while my mother, Milli Schaber was Division Secretary in the early '90's. While attending the 1995 Division 7 Change of Watch I met an interesting man named Mathew Epstein, who, I found out later had crewed on my parents OPFAC several times. I asked Matt out on our first date and he proposed on my birthday in January and we were married on June 30th, 1996.


Since my new husband was really involved with the Auxiliary, I decided to join too. That turned out to be a very good thing. My first position was flotilla secretary. I was so shy then. I was so nervous when I had to call the roll and read back the minutes from the previous meeting that my voice quivered. But, gradually, I grew out of my shyness.



I attended a VE qualification course in Seattle, Wash. and received my VE qualification and under Gil Gatlin's mentorship and some others, I earned my Crew status in 1998. I served as Vice Flotilla Commander of Flotilla 72 in Milwaukie as well as FSO-PE. In 2002 I was able to attend the AUX 04 C School in Oklahoma where I learned about how to design web pages and put together a Power Point Presentation. I was hooked. I became the first CS officer for FL 72 and put together a web site and managed it for 2 years.




When FL 72 dis-established, Matt & I transferred to Flotilla 7-12 in Hillsboro, where I became the Publications Officer and developed the Windbag newsletter into an electronic color format that could be e-mailed instead of a black & white hardcopy. In 2006 I was asked to take the Division Publications staff office and produce the "Daymark 7" newsletter.







Matt & I share our home with our two cats, Fritz and Rusty. I enjoy gardening and photography. Matt & I now work part-time as school bus drivers, which allows Matt to develop his pest extermination business and gives me more time to spend doing Auxiliary activities. I have made some great friends in the Coast Guard Auxiliary and look forward to being a productive member for years to come.

No comments: