Pages

20 February 2011

AUX 10 C School, Alameda, A Great Experience.

Story by: Diane Epstein

On 10February I flew to Alameda, CA to attend the AUX 10 C school to learn all about AuxData and AuxInfo. After getting into the shuttle van to the Executive Inn, where most of us stayed, a red-haired women sitting next to me asked, "Are you Diane?" A little puzzled, I replied, "I am" [thinking who is this lady?] I soon found out she was Nancy McCready from Flot 71 who was also there to attend the AuxData school.
The next day I joined 18 other Auxiliarists from as far away as Nashville, TN and Minneapolis, MN in a crowded room filled with computers to have an opportunity to get hands-on, learning AuxData. The two instructors, Pam Berger and Marilyn McBain were marvelous teachers, who added a little needed humor into those long days. They were very patient in answering a myriad of questions relating to the presentations of AuxData as well as AuxInfo. A few times several of our computers would go off line and we would have to reboot to re-establish the on-line connection.
We each got an opportunity to stand up and introduce ourselves and mention how long we have been in the Auxiliary and our experience (or lack thereof) with Information Services. I was amazed that some have only been members for about a year all the way up to 26 years. It was great being able to get acquainted with my fellow IS Officers with varied backgrounds and abilities and discuss how things were done in their Districts and Flotillas.
I also got the chance to tour the USCG Cutter Waeche.[see photo] What an impressive vessel! It has the capability to launch and retrieve a "small boat" while underway. Since I am not very familiar with military protocol, I watched the OOD, who gave us the tour, when he took his hat off and put it back on, to do the same.
I really value this whole experience and feel I am now ready to take on the challenge of being your Flotilla IS Officer. I don't know everything yet, but I have good resources and backup to go to. Please turn in your Member Activity [7029] and Mission Activity [7030] in a timely manner so your hours can be recorded and accounted for. It is too easy to put that off and then it becomes forgotten. I know I have been guilty of that too. Please do not hesitate to ask questions if you are not sure of how to record something or you want to know something relating to your Auxdata record.

1 comment:

veryuseful said...

Great article - Thanks Diane!