Pages

20 November 2009

Reflections on the Coast Guard Innovation Expo

Shipmates,

I'm back in Portland after a very exciting four days in Virginia Beach for the Coast Guard Innovation Expo. There are always benefits to a hot wash after an operation, here are mine:

1) When holding a camera and the Headquarters Command Master Chief comes up to you and asks what you are the appropriate answer is not what I said, "I'm an Auxiliarist" (he knows that), but rather, "Master Chief I am whatever you want me to be!" Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard Bowen, Master Chief Isherwood (the aforementioned CMC questioner) and our D13 Command Master Chief, Master Chief Dunn bestowed honorary Master Chief status on VADM Currier, our former District Commander and the current Chief of Staff. As PAC Paul Roskowski notes on the D13 Blog:
The title of Honorary Chief is bestowed on individuals by the Master Chief of the Coast Guard as a way to recognize people who have demonstrated a significant commitment to Coast Guard Chiefs, the Chief's Mess and the enlisted corps.


1a)  Being Semper Paratus applies when at a social event too.

2) The three D13 booths, External Affairs, Citizen's Action Network and Web Resources each included Auxiliarists on the team. We have an extraordinary working relationship here in D13 which is, in itself, innovative.

3) The Commandant is even more impressive in person.

4) It really makes a difference to be there in person. The Expo is a great opportunity to meet the current leadership of the Coast Guard and also the officer and enlisted leadership. Some of the best conversations were had on the bus as I found myself seated next to outstanding members of our community who I would never have otherwise met.

5) We all innovate in ways large and small. I'd like to make the effort to identify at least one innovative project to submit for consideration next year and it would be great to see two or more of you to Tampa for the 2010 Expo.

I have a number of additional videos and photos I'll post over the weekend including 12 Guardian Innovator videos we did highlighting just a few of the many innovations at the Expo.

2 comments:

Andrew Welch said...

Thanks for the update and reflections. I feel your pain on item 1 -- a better answer to the question always dawns on you about three seconds after answering.

Also agree on being there in person. NACON and District Conferences are great, but I have loved nothing quite like I have enjoyed last year's Expo, my week at CG LAMS, and other moments when auxiliary, active duty, reserve, and civilians are all thrown into the mix.

A group of us are working on a project that I am hoping will be ready for the spotlight at next year's expo... and while I'd rather not trumpet it around the Internet quite yet, I bet you don't have to think too hard to figure out what it is.

veryuseful said...

Andrew, I have one too.... but if the project gets to go it seems only fair to let others go (darn!).