Pages

27 November 2009

Effective staff reports

I've been giving considerable thought to how to craft an effective staff or leadership report over the last few weeks. We place a great emphasis on reporting in the Auxiliary with little guidance on what a staff report should contain. An effective staff report needs to contain more than simply a record of accomplishments. I believe we can positively influence our staff to think in big picture terms by asking them to report on a broader set of activities.

I have identified six components of an effective staff report and I would appreciate critique and additions.

  1. Execution: What has been accomplished in my area of staff responsibility including my own efforts, those of my reporting staff and those of the membership?
  2. Expected execution: What accomplishments/missions are expected in the near term?
  3. Execution opportunities and planning: What accomplishments/missions are in the planning stages? What is on the horizon? What are our opportunities?
  4. Program development execution: What have I and my team done to build program capacity? Who has been trained? What partnerships have been developed? What materials have been developed or are now available?
  5. Program development planning: What is planned to build program capacity?
  6. Needs/gaps: What is missing that I need and/or needs leadership attention or action to resolve?

No comments: